Thursday 28 June 2012

Visitor Season


The sun is shining, the pool is clear and sparkly, it is definitely that time of year again – ‘Airport Run’ season! There are plenty of transport links here – Perpignan airport has regular flights to Birmingham, Southampton, Dublin, Paris & Brussels; you can get to just about anywhere from Girona Airport (just over an hour away in Spain) as it is a Ryanair ‘hub’, and we have the TGV which can get us to Paris pretty quickly (and hopefully very soon to Barcelona in just 45 minutes). We also have Beziers, Montpellier & Toulouse Airports as very useful back up, but for the moment, I seem to be visiting Carcassonne Airport as Ryanair operate flights from there to Dublin, Edinburgh and most importantly to East Midlands Airport (which is the area where most of my friends and family live). Please don’t take this as any kind of ‘official guide to flights to the Languedoc’ as Ryanair seem to change their flight schedules as often as I change my mind, but it hopefully gives an idea of how accessible we are down here. It is so useful to have such a big choice – but can also be a bit confusing for visitors such as my in-laws who are more used to having trips arranged by a travel agent and had to just trust me when I informed them that they would be flying in from one airport and then returning via another! (And actually I cheated in the end and got my daughter to accompany them).

Anyway, back to Carcassonne Airport, which is where I was yesterday, and also 10 days ago and will be visiting again next Monday. Last week wasn’t so bad - my husband was taking the flight back to the East Midlands so we got there in good time, I watched him go through the departure gate and then went up and had a coffee in the first-floor restaurant (which nicely overlooks the runway). I watched the inbound flight land – and waved at my daughter who had just arrived on it - I could tell that she could also see my husband in the departure ‘lounge’ underneath me! I went downstairs to greet her and then she and I stood at the window of the restaurant again to wave goodbye to my husband as he boarded the plane.

Yesterday, one week later, wasn’t quite so nice. I am terrible at saying goodbye to people and it felt even harder because there was nobody coming in on the inbound flight to replace her so when the time came to hug Georgia goodbye I could barely speak for tears. (Am welling up now just thinking about it!). I went and splashed some water on my face and then went back upstairs and managed to compose myself while I had a coffee – and then stupidly looked out of the window again as she boarded the flight.... I have to say that the waiter there is extremely kind and I can only apologise for the amount of paper napkins I used but he will just have to get used to it as I am back next week to collect my husband again!

No comments:

Post a Comment